Certificates of Insurance - Certificates From Others
When others are required, by contract, to provide the University with a Certificate of Insurance:
Third parties must:
- Provide Certificate(s) of Insurance to the University evidencing:
- Insurance coverage agreed to in the contract.
- Description of function/service.
- Dates of the contract/event.
- Name the University of Pittsburgh of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education as Additional Insured on the General, Automobile and Excess/Umbrella Liability insurance policies.
Department (entering into the contract) requirements:
- Verify receipt of the required and appropriate Certificate(s) of Insurance.
- Confirm, with the exception of Workers' Compensation and Professional Liability, the Certificate of Insurance (COI) states that "The University of Pittsburgh, its trustees, officers, agents and employees are Additional Insured to the extent permitted by law".
- This language must appear in the COI section entitled "DESCRIPTION OF OPERATIONS/LOCATIONS/VEHICLES/SPECIAL ITEMS".
- Follow up to obtain a current Certificate(s) of Insurance upon expiration.
- Retain copies of all Certificates of Insurance with Contract documents and be prepared to provide them to the Office of Risk Management in the event of a claim.
- Certificate of Insurance reviewers can access AM Best’s Member Center web site to verify insurer ratings if needed. Registration and password set up is required.
NOTE: Unlike General, Automobile and Excess/Umbrella Liability policies, in most cases, a third party CANNOT be named as Additional Insured on Medical Professional Liability insurance policies.